Saturday, December 4, 2010

Fish & Chips with Tartar Sauce


One thing that always makes me a bit jealous is when Mr. C orders fish & chips when we're out for dinner somewhere (even though we now have gluten free fish & chips down to a science). Although he does say that ours are better than those purchased in any restaurant, he still has to option to easily indulge when a craving strikes, and I do not. 

I recently had a delivery of gluten free flour from GF Patisserie in Cochrane, AB. You see, I used to live in Calgary, which is not far from from Cochrane (it doesn't take much to get me out there). I used to be able to take a trip out there any time I felt like a drive. But now I'm a whole province away, and to be quite honest, it's interfering with my fish consumption!

GF Patisserie's blog is called The Celiac Husband (aptly named, as the husband runs the blog & "back side" of things & the ladies run the bakery). Last fall they posted a recipe for gluten free fish & chips and I never looked back. We've made it SEVERAL times since then, using different fish, and playing around with adding spices to the batter.

Gluten Free Fish & Chips
4 servings (plenty) of fish
3/4 cup of GF Patisserie / BigStar Bakehouse flour (plus more for dusting)
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup of gluten free beer *If your local liquor store doesn't stock gf beer, ask them to!
Oil for frying

Mix all ingredients until smooth
Dust fish pieces with flour
Dredge the fish through the batter
Slide into 375F hot oil and wait until golden brown 


Now, I don't have a deep fryer ( I just can't justify having another kitchen appliance taking up precious space in my little kitchen when it wont get used often enough). What I've done is added coconut oil to my favorite cast iron pan and heated the burner to med high heat. Some of the pieces are a bit darker than others (as you can see here) but this is likely because I had the heat just a titch too high.

As you can see, the batter is very fluffy & light (so don't worry when your batter is foamy & airy before frying!) Mr. C made up some tartar sauce to go with our fish this afternoon as well.


Tartar Sauce
(adapted from a recipe found on cooks.com)

1 cup mayo
2 tbsp fresh dill (dried works too)
1 tbsp chopped capers
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste

In a small bowl, mix together the first three ingredients. Stir in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.



1 comment:

  1. Your Fish & Chips look delicious!
    Can't wait for more recipes.

    ReplyDelete