Sunday, December 12, 2010

Product Review: Udi's Pizza Crusts

I'm just going to say right up front that I am not doing this via any sort of request from the company in question. I LOVE Udi's bread, and while trying to decide what was for dinner today at the grocery store, I grabbed these & figured I'd give them a try. 


We have a gluten free pizza dough recipe that we both love, but it's a bit on the labour intensive side. Anything involving yeast does I suppose. Plus you have to bake the crusts before topping them (and then bake them again). Sometimes I'm just not game for that much work!


With only half a brain, I forgot a few things while at the store, but we made do with some leftover pasta sauce out of the fridge & got creative with some pesto on the second pizza. Turned out to be a delicious decision!


 Pizza #1: Udi's crust, pasta sauce, prosciutto, black olives, fresh red pepper & olive and tomato gouda.


 Pizza #2: Udi's crust, pesto, smoked wild salmon, artichoke hearts & parmesan cheese.


 The edges of the crust did brown up a bit, unlike some gluten free baked items.


 Strangely however, they turned up a bit during the 6-8 minutes the pizza was in the oven. 


If you're a fan of the thin crust, this just might be the one for you. The non-Celiac in the house gave them 6.5/10 compared to his favorite thin crust, but did say that they were better than any other store bought crusts we've tried. And I agree.


In the end, I'd chalk this up to an easy dinner. The time it took for the oven to heat up to 450F was just long enough to get the toppings on the crusts & in they went! We'll probably stick to our usual recipe, but it's always good to try new things! Especially when everything else you've had from the company has been amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment