Saturday, January 15, 2011

Dinner: Cannelloni

In addition to our Citrus Cheesecake (thanks to the lovely savory sweet life), our dairy filled dinner also includes one of my favorites: Cannelloni. I have always been a sucker for stuffed pastas. In fact, as children, we always got to pick what we wanted to have for our birthday dinners. Until I was well into adulthood, I always chose pasta. More often than not, tortellini. Which works out great when Oliveri makes family sized packs of the stuff!

My sister was always all about the seafood, but I am a sucker for carbs. The irony of it is that I can no longer have gluten and my sister can no longer have seafood!

Several months ago, I was tipped off to the gluten free offerings at the Italian supermarket in Edmonton. Among other items, I purchased cannelloni tubes made from corn flour. Generally, I stick to brown rice pasta, but eager to have a broader selection of pastas I threw them in the basket. As you may or may or may not know we moved from Edmonton in August of last year, so I've been hanging onto these for some time now.

1/2 package cannelloni noodles (10 tubes)
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 tub (500g) ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4+ cloves garlic, minced
1 zucchini, finely chopped
Italian seasoning to taste
pepper to taste


 

In a large pot, cook noodles as label directs. Drain and rinse with cold running water (as your label likely suggests). Return noodles to pot with cold water to cover.

 

 In large bowl, mix ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, basil & pepper. Stuff the filling into the tubes and place them in a baking dish that will accommodate them (this will vary depending on your noodles).

Preheat oven to 375F.
 
 

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion & garlic and cook until translucent. Stir in zucchini & cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes & tomato sauce & bring to temperature. Add spices including any additional to your tastes.
 

Top cannelloni with sauce & additional mozza or parmesan cheese if desired.
Bake until heated through, 35 to 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment