Friday, January 7, 2011

Hockey Night In Canada: Deviled Eggs

The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!


Okay, okay I'm sure you've heard it all since team Canada got whipped in the 3rd period of the gold medal game at the World Junior Hockey Championship last night. As dutiful Canadians, we hunkered down on the couch to cheer on the guys that will be drafted up into the NHL in the next season or two. Our own local WHL Prince George Cougar, Brett Connolly made it up to team Canada for this years tournament and did awesome!

I thought it to be appropriate to have finger food & bevvy's and watch the game, so here's the menu:

hummus & veggies
green onion cakes
veggie sushi
deviled eggs
my biscotti

What we ended up having, was deviled eggs & veggie sushi. And then we were full. The green onion cake dough is still in the fridge. Beside the hummus. And the biscotti dough. And there's a turkey in the oven at the moment, so there's nothing I can do about it!



What I can do however, is share with you our amazing deviled eggs!

Things you'll need (but probably already have in the house):

6 eggs
finely chopped green onion, or chives
approx 2 tbsp mayo
approx 3-4 tsp spicy mustard
fresh ground pepper to taste
sprinkle of paprika


Now I'm not going to lie to you. Mr.C is the egg-boiler of the house. Despite his having grown up in an eggless house, he's a pro. Me however, I tend to eat my eggs more on the runny side. I generally don't do "hard" eggs. Since discovering that my mother had been hiding deviled eggs from me my whole life last Christmas at my grandma's house, I have developed an unhealthy admiration for them. His advice for perfect hard boiled eggs is as follows:

-Bring a medium pot of salted water to boil.
-Gently place eggs into the water with the aid of a soup spoon (so they don't crack like when I do it...)
-After 12 1/2 minutes (at our elevation of approx. 2000 ft.) remove the eggs. Don't overcook them!!
-Rinse in cool water & wait until they are cool enough to handle.
-Peel the eggs & discard shells.
-Using a sharp knife, slice them open vertically.
-Gently remove yolks and place them in a bowl.
-The whites may be placed on a plate.
-Mash the yolks, then add the remaining ingredients to create an uniform paste.
-Using a pastry bag fitted with the largest tip, pipe the mixture back into the egg whites (you may also use a spoon, or a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off).
-Sprinkle paprika atop each deviled egg.
-Enjoy with a frosty beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment