Sunday, February 13, 2011

Beef Stock

Well, buffalo actually.


While I can get organic beef from the health food store here in PG, they only supply particular cuts of meat. And I'm sure that I could probably order bones through them, why bother when the "Buffalo Guy" at the Saturday farmers market has them?


I have a freezer bag full of veggie scraps that I add celery leaves, onion skins & trimmings of carrots to as I am cooking (I'm talking all the time!). This way when I go to make stock, all I have to do is throw the bag into the pot from the freezer. It's like making "free stock"! Wilted green onions, garlic peelings & mushroom stems- it all goes in.


$5 worth of bones (or $0 if I've cooked a turkey or chicken) and I have 12 cups of stock in the freezer, plus a pot of soup- what more could you ask for?


1 comment: