Friday, February 25, 2011

Product Review: Biscuits

 



Celimix:

texture: 4/5
taste: 1/5
color: 1/5
ease of preparation: 5/5
overall: 2/5

Sadly these were NOT the best gluten free biscuits I've ever had from a mix. I haven't ever purchased anything from this brand before, and this will probably mean that I wont ever either. The texture was dead on, but there was zero taste & they were going moldy after just a few days. They were tolerable smothered with jam, but that's about it. Super simple prep, but I'd much rather go to the trouble of making some up from scratch.






Bobs Red Mill:
texture: 4/5
taste: 5/5
color: 5/5
ease of preparation: 5/5
overall: 5/5

These are by far our favorite biscuits! We prepared them with butter & water (rather than milk, as the choice is given). They are a bit on the dry side, so they do fall apart (in chunks, not crumbs) easily, but when made with cheese they stick together better. Everything's better with cheese, right? Mr. C says he would eat biscuits more often if these were around...

 

Note: the first time I made these I thought I had been glutened. Turns out there is chickpea flour in the mix, so if gas is your first sign of gluten poisoning & your body isn't super-used to digesting legumes, be aware!





texture: 4/5
taste: 5/5
color: 4/5
ease of preparation: 5/5
overall: 4.5/5

These turned out... interestingly. The recipe claimed to make 5-6 biscuits, but I could only see it making three when I glopped the dough onto the baking sheet. I'm not chintzy with my biscuits, I like em' big. Buuut... they spread out like schoolkids running off the bus on a field trip. I had a puzzled look on my face when I pulled them out of the oven, thinking that I must have done something wrong, but there is NO room for error in making this recipe.


I was hesitant to take them off the cookie sheet right away, as they looked like they would crumble into oblivion. After 5 or 10 minutes, I took the plunge. Tasty. Tasty like I want to take another bite before I've swallowed the first one. And because the first bite was nearer to the edge, a teensy bit crispy. Good crispy though. The middle? Fluffy.

Impressed.

Side note? You probably don't need to spray your baking sheet for these. 
We LOVE using this stuff to make pancakes, so I don't have any reason to have had doubts. But for some reason I did. It seemed far too easy. Even though most other biscuit mixes call for about the same ingredients as this one. It was equally as easy as Bobs.


There are a few other biscuit mixes I found online, but none of them are available for purchase in Canada (yet). Including Gluten Free Bisquick. I thought about ordering them, but we'll save that for another day I suppose. I clearly have two very tasty options available at my fingertips (and one that I know I can steer clear of!).



 



6 comments:

  1. Poor, poor Canadians...always left out! I had my in-laws pick up some Bisquick mix for me when they went to the US a while back, but I haven't gotten it yet. My MIL says that it says "Product of Canada" on the package...how wrong! Made here, but we can't buy it here?!? I wish we had Bob's & King Arthur's products available in Canada, I've heard great things about both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob's Red Mill products are all over the place around here (not ALL of them mind you...), but I haven't seen King Arthur's. It sounds as though they're quite good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Bob's mighty tasty hot cereal, and a bunch of other things, that aren't necessarily GF. I don't think there is much (locally) that is just for us GF people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled upon your Blog and have been enjoying what I've read so far. I too live in Canada but on the opposite coast as you. I have been GF for about 8 years now and am lucky that I get info and advice from my daughter who, like you is a RHN and has a very busy and successful practice here on PEI. I was wondering if you have tried any Dunkirken products? It is an island company with fantastic GF mixes and flours! I look forward to reading more from you and am glad I stumbled upon you! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just reviewed the Duinkerken biscuits. I really liked them. You can buy them at both Bulk Barn and now Walmarts across Canada. http://www.imadetoast.com/2011/02/biscuits-nothing-but-gf-biscuits.html
    check it out, kristin.

    King Arthur's products are still tough to find when I go to the States. The store I always go to has just started bringing them in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies! I'm working on getting a hold of some of the Duinkerken mix to give it a try! There are a few others from the states that I would like to give a shot too, so maybe I'll be able to do a part 2 of this review!

    ReplyDelete