Friday, March 11, 2011

Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

As much as my chocoholic mother will be displeased, I must admit- I am a lover of oatmeal raisin cookies. I may even go so far as to lose my inheritance say that they are my favorite. I am surely genetically predisposed to love chocolate as much as she does, but chocolate doesn't have to be everywhere. I prefer blueberries over chocolaty morsels in my pancakes and for years as a child I would opt for a fruit sorbet over a creamy fudgy choice at the ice cream parlor. And I'm okay with that.

As much of western Canada has, we too got a ridiculous amount of snow this past few days. There was a foot of it blown up against our door, and my car actually had to be dug out in order to be able to leave the house. I had planned on not leaving the house what-so-ever on Monday since I had the day off, as there was yet another delivery of snow scheduled. That plan stuck around for a few hours. When it became clear that someone was snowblowing our driveway (in a -30 windchill I might add), I decided to venture into the great outdoors and check it out. Sure enough ski goggles, full face mask, snowpants, the works. So I made him cookies.


I would at this point like to clarify that we did the driveway the day before, but there's just so much snow! With the howling wind blowing it all around on top of that, it was in need of a little TLC yet again. It's not that we're lazy, I assure you.


only slightly adapted from this recipe

Preheat to 350F.
Place 1 cup dried cranberries in a bowl of warm water to soak. Set aside.

In a small mixing bowl combine:

1 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves

In the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl),  beat to cream:

3/4 cup coconut oil, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sucanat
1 tablespoon home made vanilla
2 eggs 
zest of one organic orange

*Typically I'll leave it to your discretion to decide what items your kitchen stocks organic and which ones "aren't worth the cost", but in this case DO go out of your way to get an organic orange. Any fruit where you're using the zest of should be organic. Think about it: conventional oranges have pesticides sprayed on the outside of the fruit. No matter how much washing you do, it's not just going to 'come off'. Do yourself a favor this time around.

Add the whisked dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.

Add in 3 cups gluten free oats.
Mix by hand until distributed evenly.

Drain cranberries well & mix with your hands (trust me, at this point there's no point in fighting with a wooden spoon, just get in there!)

Spray a baking sheet, and place cookie dough on in flattened balls, sort of like small hamburger patties.

Bake for 12 minutes, until beginning to brown.

Let cookies sit on baking sheet for a minute or two before you place them on a cooling rack.


If you forget to soak the cranberries, your cookies will end up looking like this. It's not the end of the world, they'll just be on the dry side. They are however much better, chewier cookies when that added moisture is contributed.

3 comments:

  1. OMG that looks delicious! I must say I too come down on the fruit side of the fruit vs. chocolate debate.

    You have my condolences on the snow. Somehow, while the rest of the continent has been getting hammered, Denver has enjoyed one of the mildest winters in memorable history. It's been in the high 60's or low 70's most of the week, and it's projected to stay there for the next week or so. I even got too hot sitting outside in the sun yesterday! It's nice, but a tad bit unsettling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowsa, did you guys ever get dumped on! We had a blizzard rip through last night, but not with the snow you got. Spring is coming, right??

    Those cookies look fantastic! I'm sure your brave/crazy/generous neighbor enjoyed them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we've made those cookies three times in the last 2 weeks- they're SO good! I ate the last one after dinner last night, so I'll be whipping up something new tomorrow maybe. Perhaps something a little lighter, as our snow turns to slush outside. :)

    ReplyDelete