Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lunch: Quinoa Salad


You've never had Quinoa? "Keen-Wah", not quin-oh-ah ;) Let alone cooked it you say? Don't be afraid, it's not scary at all! Here is all you ever needed to know about cooking quinoa. From a true pro. This is totally something you can throw on before you get in the shower (provided you've got a rice cooker- it can do more than cook just rice ya know!).

I love leftover quinoa cooked up with raisins & cinnamon for breakfast (I've never been a big fan of oatmeal, but I do this with rice too!). It's such a versatile seed (not quite a grain)!


I love a big bowl of quinoa salad, but I can't exactly give you a recipe for it, as it's never the same as last time! This, dear is SO versatile that you can throw just about anything into it! A few ingredients commonly hanging around my kitchen that can be thrown into a quinoa salad?

olive oil
lime/lemon juice
chickpeas
black beans
white beans
kidney beans
green onions/chives
corn
peas
sundried tomatoes
roasted red peppers
S&P
fresh herbs
capers
diced bell pepper
sesame seeds
artichoke hearts
shredded carrot
olives
diced cucumber
hazelnuts
fresh tomato
salsa
microgreens

As you can see, the list goes on and on! Feel free to use any or all of these in your quinoa salad. Or maybe you have an ingredient that I've never even thought of!


Today my quinoa salad included:
1 cup red quinoa cooked with a cube of veggie bouillon
2 tsp lime juice
1 can (19oz) mixed beans
1 can (12oz) corn
3 tbsp salsa from our local farmers market
plenty of fresh ground pepper

Once your quinoa is done cooking, throw it in the fridge (you don't even have to take it out of the rice cooker pot) to cool. Prep your additions & throw em' in once the quinoa is cold. I do recommend that olive oil & lemon or lime juice are included to maintain enough moisture in your salad. Small amounts of Chicken/Veggie stock can be used as well, but keep in mind that just like rice, quinoa absorbs water! You can however use stock in place of water in cooking your quinoa for an extra flavor punch, or just throw in a cube of bouillon when you click the rice cooker on.

2 comments:

  1. That was pretty much my supper yesterday! :) I love quinoa too, I don't make it often enough.

    ReplyDelete