Monday, March 28, 2011

A Week's Worth of Plastic: Round 7

It wasn't that long ago that my entire collection of food storage containers was exclusively plastic. A mish-mash of Ziploc, Tupperware, Rubbermaid with a healthy dose of Chinese food & bulk bin containers thrown in the mix. I only ever use the (intended for) single use containers a few times before they crack, and only ever for freezing things but I still can't bear the thought of throwing them out after their mere single use despite the fact that I have more of them squirreled away than I could ever fit in my freezer. A year or two ago I started buying glass containers when we needed things to carry our lunches to work or school. I figured I wouldn't microwave (this was before we ditched our microwave) my food in plastic at home, so why would I do it anywhere else?

It started with two rectangular containers (the lids are plastic mind you) that would fit a good sized slice of lasagna, and that was it for awhile. Then one day at Superstore they had ALL (!) of their Anchor Hocking glassware on sale for half price! I figured they were clearing out & discontinuing the line, but it turned out they weren't. I snagged these ones along with some others (on yet another occasion when they had it all on sale!) and I LOVE THEM. I've seen them at Canadian Tire as well (if you don't have a Superstore/Loblaws/No Frills/Extra Foods/Atlantic Superstore etc nearby.


For more non-plastic options, this is a BC based site that sells everything from plastic-free ice cube trays to straws & containers. And if you have little ones at home, you'll appreciate that all of their stuff is stainless steel (not glass!).

And here are a few suggestions for non-plastic alternatives in the kitchen. We use a TON of antique canning jars for everything from storing quinoa & raisins to rice & dried beans. I'm always on the hunt for funky lookin' old jars!


1. Garbage bag for the weeks garbage
2. Chocolate bar wrapper
3. 4 Coconut milk fudgesicle wrappers
4. Leave-in conditioner bottle (finally used up!)
5. 2 Bread bags & tag
6. Cracker bag & tray
7. Goat's milk yogurt tub (greek night!)
8. Goat's cheese tube
9. Uncontaminated oats bag
10. Various stickers from fruit
11. Seal from box of dishwashing soap
12. Miss Vickies chip bag
13. 7 pieces dental floss
14. Tortilla chip bag
15. Pasta bag
16. Bunny hay bag
17. Razor blade
18. Steak package- for dinner (not shown)
19. Salad dressing bottle
20. Lid from (glass) bottle of sesame oil
21. Backing from page of labels
22. Individual miso soup package (not shown)
23. 2 bulk bin bags (from my pre-bulk bin bag days)
24. Salad tub
25. Hummus container & seal
26. Rice cracker container
27. Instant soup package
28. Lid to glass bottle of liquid calcium
29. Pasta bag
30. Spatula (broken)
31. Pad Thai noodle bag
32. Mushroom tray & wrap (also from pad thai)
33. Tag from green onions (pad thai)
34. Bag of bok choy (you guessed it...)
35. Produce bag
36. Pull tab from bottle of sesame oil
37. 3 Plastic rings attaching price tags
38. Clothing store bag (too small to use for bathroom garbage; forgot my tote bag at the mall!)
39. 2 baggies from goggles for tanning (I know, I know... I just don't want to end up looking like THIS again!)


Oh, did I not mention that we're venturing out on a tropical vacation next month? 
More details to come!

So last week I made mention of the new packaging that Stahlbush was introducing into the marketplace. I was stoked that there would finally be a source for frozen produce (until spring comes) that wasn't packaged in plastic. Turns out things are not as they seem...

2 comments:

  1. I love you reminding us to scrap the plastic, Kristin! I was just washing jars out to reuse this morning. That's how I store most leftovers and little bits. ;-) I still need to get some of those glass storage containers.

    Woohoo on the tropical vacation! I'll be looking forward to hearing more on that for sure. Good for you guys! :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasty White Girl vs The Sun: Round 2! (all the while on limited plastic & gluten free of course!)

    ReplyDelete