Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Canada Day Breakfast Poutine

When someone asks what kinds of foods are Canadian, there are generally a few things that come to mind. Poutine & maple syrup or maybe butter tarts, nanaimo bars or perogies if you really sit down & think about it. Every year however, you see backyard barbeques & picnic tables donning variations of this:

From here.

Is it really Canadian? No, not really. But it's festive, I'll give them that much!

While the Spunky Coconut's Spunky Holiday roundup is centered around July 4th, I'm going to go with a more Canadian themed recipe. Ya know, since Canada Day is also this weekend & we do live in Canada after all! 53% of people polled by the Globe & Mail last year voted that our national dish is (drumroll please...) Poutine!


Now maybe you're looking at that picture & thinking to yourself "I wonder if she knows that her breakfast poutine isn't very red & white? It's more on the brown side...". Actually, I'm aware. There aren't very many things in nature that are truly white. On top of that cooking turns things colors sometimes, and I certainly wasn't prepared to eat that white onion raw. Generally speaking "foods" that are white are that way because they've been stripped of their nutrients. Think white rice, bread etc. Not always, but it's a good rule of thumb

Some will argue that a true poutine needs gravy, but I think it's over rated. Not gravy- it's certainly not over rated. The requirement for gravy on poutine is over rated. My favorite poutine is (second to the butter chicken poutine at NewYork Fries) is the Italian poutine at a pizza chain in Edmonton called Royal Pizza. Unlike most poutine's out there, it features pizza sauce rather than gravy- it's amazing!

Canada Day Breakfast Poutine
Inspired by this.

1 batch (white) rosemary-roasted cubed potatoes
"Canadian bacon", cubed small. Or just normal bacon!
Sauteed (white) mushrooms & (white) onions
Crumbled goats feta or cheese curds of your choice
Poached chicken or duck egg
Roasted red peppers
Hollandaise sauce (this recipe has yet to fail me!)

Preheat oven to 425F & make rosemary-roasted cubed potatoes. This is by far my favorite breakfast potato recipe (and so far, my fave from the Cook with Jamie book).

If you have a helper in the kitchen (tell them you're making poutine! For breakfast!) ask them to start the Hollandaise sauce as it requires constant stirring. Use your stand mixer for the first part if you've got one!

In a cast iron pan (preferably) saute bacon with mushrooms & onions.

There are a million tutorials online on how to poach an egg should you be standing under the "challenged" banner in this department. We bought a set of these a few years ago, and the work amazing don't get me wrong. I just happen to love the texture of poached eggs simply dropped into boiling water (with a few drops of vinegar). I swear under my breath when I'm scrubbing the pot afterwards, but I live for poached eggs & toast.

Layer the sauteed bacon & veggies ontop of the rosemary hashbrowns in a bowl. Top it with cheese, a poached egg, festive roasted red peppers and a generous spoonful of hollandaise. Sprinkle with paprika & fresh ground black pepper.

Disclaimer: I want to be VERY clear that this is NOT health food. That's right, poutine isn't healthy! Who knew... Yes I'm a nutritionist and advocate a healthy lifestyle, but this dish contains twice the amount of fat and most of the calories that I should be ingesting for my entire day. Don't say I didn't warn you!

2 comments:

  1. Just found your site on the spunky coconut 4th of July roundup and couldn't help but notice a Canadian recipe in the mix. And a gluten free one too!

    Your newest follower.

    Kathleen@CeliacBaby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathleen!

    Love from YOUR newest follower ;)

    ReplyDelete