Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It's Pie Day Don't Cha Know?

What, you didn't get the invite?


I know what you're thinking... it's not March 14th. We had Pi day already, but today July 5th is Pie day! The lovely Shauna Ahern of Gluten Free Girl decided a few weeks ago that it would be fun for everyone to make pie. Because really, who doesn't like pie?

We were out camping around the time she decided on this event and the group of us went down the road a little to a roadside cafe for lunch one afternoon. They didn't have many gluten free options (I ended up having chili without the bread bowl) as most of their menu consisted of sandwiches for the hungry traveler. Along with an assortment of hard ice cream, they had pie. At least a dozen different kinds of pie, made from scratch. For the last two weeks I've been wanting that pie. The timing of Shauna's Facebook event couldn't have been better.


The simple premise is that we collectively all make pie, and share our creations. The last (and only since childhood) time I made pie, I cheated and used a mix for the crust. This time I decided that I needed to man up. Shirley from Gluten Free Easily is like the mama gluten free blogger. She's been doing this dance longer than most of us have & knows her stuff! I chose her No roll, never fail, press in gluten free pie crust (with 1 cup GF Patisserie's flour, 1/2 cup rice bran, sucanat, xanthan gum, almond milk & coconut oil) this time around, and to be honest? This recipe takes the scary out of making gluten free pie crusts. For real.


At this point in the year, I'd best be using up my pie filling from last fall that's still in the freezer before I start stockpiling more goodies from this summer's harvest. So apple it was... Next time I'll take a stab at rolling out a batch of this crust to put on top. Really, apple pie needs some lattice or something on top!

2 comments:

  1. Darn, just realized my comment didn't go through yesterday. :-( Kristin, I'm so honored and tickled pink that you adapted my easy, press-in pie crust recipe! Your pie crust and the pie itself both look fabulous! :-)

    Beaucoup thanks for all your sweet words, dear!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe really does make me want to make pies more often! I have no more excuses! I'll be playing around with different flour combos for the crust & this time of year there are tons of options for fillings too:)

    ReplyDelete