Thursday, October 27, 2011

One Year Ago...

... today, after much deliberation I finally started a blog. Thinking no one would read it, I threw caution to the wind and decided I didn't care. If nothing else, it would be a personal development thing. Something for me.

I have certainly learned a lot about myself; about what I do & don't like, how to balance what I eat with how it makes me feel and what really doesn't taste good together. It's one thing to indulge in a guilty pleasure when you think that no one is looking, but when it shows up on the weekly WIAW post or the evidence is blatant in a weekly plastic tally I know that someone else knows. I'm accountable to you whether you know it or not. You keep me from eating things that a "good nutritionist" shouldn't eat sometimes. So thank you for that.

As we head into the colder parts of the year, by nature there is less and less natural light (especially in our house!). Since starting this blog, the photography has always been my weak point. And my writing skills (Mr.C I'm blaming you for my poor English 12 marks), but those have certainly improved since this time last year. I am certainly going to be working on these. Gone are the days of stepping outside to take a decent photo in the sunshine. A light box is certainly on the agenda- we'll see how it works out!

Even if the critters are getting my zucchini, at least I can take a decent picture of it!

Next month I'll be focusing on maintaining my newfound eating habits and supporting a daily yoga practice with them. Many days in my September Yoga Challenge were painful because I wasn't feeding my body enough. I just didn't have it in me to do anything more than meditate some nights. I want to have enough gas in the tank for some sort of physical practice every day in the month of November. I'm a nutritionist for goodness sakes- I know how to eat properly! In fact, people pay me to tell them how to eat properly (easier said than done I suppose?) I'd best be practicing what I preach or I'm in big trouble!

I hope that my wee little blog can continue to grow as it has been (I've got plans... ) There will always be space for changes on SlightlyIrritating&Inconvenient, just as there must always be space for changes in our lives. And just as there will always be changes in my diet and in my beliefs as a nutrition professional. Maybe one day our little household will be grain-free, maybe paleo, maybe vegetarian- who knows, but what I can tell you is that this blog will follow it.

I hope you do too.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I too am lamenting the dwindling light... what is a light box?

    Anyhow, just wanted to tell you that I'm gearing up for the 30 day yoga challenge... and I think I have a plan. For the past week (well, since your yoga post, whenever that was) I've been trying a new system. Instead of trying to coax my barely conscious, and generally ravenously hungry morning self into doing yoga, I've started doing it before bed... and it's been WONDERFUL! I'm actually able to focus on the yoga rather than constantly thinking "when will this be over so I can eat" or "am I gonna pass out?" Plus, it's really helping me to wind down and feel ready for sleep, without having to subject myself to hours and hours of stupid mindless television. AND, I am sleeping SOOOO much better! I'm not waking up with terrible back and hip pain like I usually do.

    So THANK YOU for giving me the nudge I needed! Hopefully, this will only be the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogiversary, Kristin! I still haven't gotten a lightbox either. One thing I learned at blogger conferences is go to the light. Don't just try taking photos in your kitchen. If there's natural light (or light that appears more natural) in your bathroom or bedroom, just take the food or item there to photograph it. ;-)

    Great discussion on yoga with you and EcoCatLady. I think the ideal is to do first thing in the morning (sets tone for my day) and before bed. I'd love to sleep a tad better. :-)

    Congrats again! And like your new look and will look forward to more changes. :-)

    Hugs,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips Shirley, but unfortunately I live in a basement suite with only 3 windows in the whole place. In Northern Canada to boot. Thank gawd daylight savings time is this weekend!

    I would love to be able to start my day with yoga (it's always a great day when I can) but due to my work schedule I ogten don't crawl out of bed early enough. My (lack of) routine is all over the map. It's all about fitting it in when I can fit it in :)

    EcoCatLady: a light box is a self-constructed box with a white lining to reflect the light, resulting in better lit photos. Dark, shadowy pictures of food are generally not terribly appealing & I end up doing a lot of photo editing before the pictures are "acceptable" for mass consumption.

    Glad you're on board with the yoga, I'm excited (and sore at the same time)!

    ReplyDelete