Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Yoga November: How are we doing?

Hey yogi's, how is your Yoga November practice going so far? We're half way through the month already, can you believe it! Here's what I've been up to:

1. 90 minute hot vinyasa class
2. fail
3. 60 minute vinyasa class
4. 10 minute yoga for abs video
5. 75 minute yin class
6. 20 minute "hips, buns & thighs" yoga video
7. 22 minute cardio yoga video
8. 90 minute hot vinyasa class
9. fail
10. 10 minute yoga for abs video
11. This 17 minute yoga workout
12. 75 minute yin class
13. fail
14. fail
15. 90 minute hot vinyasa class

Okay, so everyone's not perfect, especially me. And sometimes life happens. On the second day of a month long challenge life happens. Go figure. But here's what's going on that's halted my previously driven effort to succeed at my own self appointed challenge: Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I'll admit I've been slacking on my vitamins lately... okay for the last year or three. I used to be so good and couldn't for the life of me understand how someone could just not get it. And now that's me. Last winter was harsh, and this one's not off to a great start so far so I'm really going to have to step it up a notch. I know from experience that getting enough vitamin D into my body on these short, dark winter days does make a difference in how I feel. I'm just going to have to make it happen.

Exercise is another extremely helpful "coping mechanism" when it comes to S.A.D. and I am trying to make it to every class that my work schedule permits (hope to be seeing you at ChinookYoga soon!). I had a "yoga date" tonight with a friend from work, and her unlimited monthly membership paired with mine should make for a serious amount of endorphin inducing sweaty fun!

I have noticed a general reduction in having any interest in anything lately as well, which is leading me to not really want to do anything. Which in the workplace or when it comes to keeping the house tidy can be perceived in a very negative manner. Oh, and did I mention that I had a nap on Saturday and Sunday this weekend? Classic symptoms...

This is actually more of "angry" because we took a 120km detour

Craving carbs (yes, even homemade granola bars) is a biggie!

So the plan is to:
-Keep up with my yoga challenge; I committed myself to this 2 weeks ago, there's no quitting now!
-I'd love to get running again, but outside is out of the question. I need to find me a treadmill
-Set regular reminders on my iphone regarding vitamin taking
-Try to create a regular schedule despite shifts being all over the map. At the very least I'd like to be in bed by midnight every night
-Use my iphone to accomplish things on my "to-do" list (v.s. losing the paper list that I have made in past) I have a serious amount of dishes & vacuuming to do!
-Yesterday I started a list of "Things That Make Me Happy" and I'm adding a bit to it every day. Focus on the positive, people!
-Maintain weekly meal planning & stick to it (not doing so great with that last part lately)
-Possibly start light therapy, but I'd like to get on board with the above strategies first

I would love to hear about your SAD or depression stories. You're not alone!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I don't know if I have full blown SAD or not, but I sure get depressed this time of year. I can never be sure if it's the light or the impending dysfunctional family holiday doom. My strategy is to try to get outside every day. I try to make it for an hour... working in the yard or going for a walk or shoveling snow depending on the weather, but sometimes it's just a few minutes taking out the garbage. But even that makes me feel better. The year I lived in Norway I learned that dark and cold are no excuse for staying cooped up indoors - I rode my bike too and from school every day even in the middle of winter, and the air and exercise really helped me deal with it all.

    My desk also sits right by a south facing window, so when I'm working at the computer, I'm actually sitting in a sunbeam - at least on sunny days, which, thankfully is most of the time here... and that helps too. It also is like a cat magnet... so there's always a furry creature on my lap, and it's hard to be sad when you're snuggling a sweetie pie!

    And I can so totally relate on the vitamin front. I try to be good, but like any routine, it's hard for me to stick with. I went out and bought one of those old lady pill reminder things where you can count out the day's pills in advance and each day has its own little compartment. It's plastic crap, I know, but it really does help. Mine has an AM and a PM slot, but I just take all of my vitamins once a day, so it holds 2 weeks worth. If I can just remember to take them at breakfast I'm good.

    In terms of yoga, I'm going with the slow and steady approach. So no fancy classes or hour and a half workouts or hot yoga classes for me, just my 30 minute Yoga Zone videos each night before bed. There have been a few nights when I've been really tempted to skip it, but I've held true to the challenge and does seem to be helping me sleep better... though I did feel a bit odd doing yoga at 2am the one night that I was up really late!

    Hang in there and let us know how the SAD goes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last nights yoga session was definitely past midnight, so don't worry- you're not alone! I find that I do much better in a class than at home with a video. I can't really explain it, but it's a completely different experience and I love it! I'm hoping to take my career in that direction one of these days...

    Since we live in a basement(for now), we don't get a whole lot of light and this far north there really isn't that much light to miss out on anyways. Daylight savings time seemed to hit me hard this year since I'm rarely out of bed before 9:00 am. Even today it was so overcast that it might as well have been dark all day long. I don't know how the people in Alaska etc do it!

    ReplyDelete