Monday, April 2, 2012

Spring Detox 2012: Breakfast Quinoa

I must admit, I've been struggling with the food side of things on this detox we're doing. Of all the people, I know. As perhaps a test of strength we decided that we would do this cleanse as vegetarians (nearly vegan without dairy & few eggs though). The reason for making this choice is unclear to me except for the fact that I was the one who suggested it. What was I thinking?

If you haven't read Eat Right For Your (Blood) Type you've likely heard of it. I read it as part of a project when I was in school and its theory has stuck with me since. I have watched those in my family struggle to become vegetarians on moral grounds while their blood type dictates that they will thrive when consuming meat. And this past week, that has been me in all my O negative glory.

I nearly caved yesterday. I've had more naps in the past week than I care to admit (in addition to the plenty more than 8 hours of sleep I'm getting at night). And yet I'm thoroughly exhausted despite eating more calories than I need every. single. day. Normally I would mention to someone in this situation that they may be feeling this way due to the toxins they may be excreting, but I underwent a bit of a different kind of detox myself not that long ago.

Mr.C is type A and thus does better on a plant based diet than I. He's doing very well and has loads of energy (thank goodness for that!). He's been doing most of the cooking & the resulting mountains of dishes in addition to studying for finals. There are very obvious differences in our experiences in the last few days.

Breakfast has been the really difficult part of this for us. While we are eating eggs, one cannot have eggs and eggs alone every single morning. He stumbled on a great recipe that we've made a few times and keeps us both happy starting our days.

Breakfast Quinoa

adapted from this recipe

1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup chopped dates
2 cups water
1 ripe pear, grated
2-4 tbsp coconut butter

Throw first 3 ingredients in a rice cooker and set to cook.
Go get ready for work, do some laundry or have a tea while you wait!
When the rice cooker is just about done doing its thing, stir in the shredded pear.
Heat your coconut butter up to liquify it while the pear is blending in with everything else.
Divide the quinoa into two bowls and top with coconut butter.

Have a delicious day!




No comments:

Post a Comment