Friday, May 4, 2012

Dinner: Salmon with Kumquats

Through part of my childhood, my father worked at a distribution warehouse for a chain of grocery stores in western Canada. Sometimes he would come home with interesting things such as stickers off of exotic sounding fruit like lychee, granadilla or dragon fruit. Occasionally we would be surprised with something even better. Something that was not for my sticker book, but for us to eat! I can recall an untrusting feeling as though I was being tricked into an unpleasant experience when he told me to just pop a whole kumquat in my mouth rather than cautiously tasting it first. This is however, exactly how one should eat a kumquat.


We bought a container of organic kumquats from Choices while we were in Vancouver last week. While we enjoyed them while we were away some of them made their way home with us. Puttering around the kitchen a few days after returning home trying to figure out what to put on the salmon filets I had defrosted for dinner, my searches for a lemon led me to our small stash of kumquats.

I've never been one to enjoy any sort of plain-jane fish. Maybe the Costco sized container of lemon pepper seasoning my mom kept in the kitchen while we were growing up might have had something to do with it. But this meal is just that- with a twist. A simple sprinkle of sea salt & black pepper, a dusting of dried dill... and citrus. Because a kumquat is best enjoyed whole (skin & all!) using them like this is ideal. I feel that most diners would remove their slices of lemon from a traditionally prepared fish before indulging, but kumquats can be consumed within a bite of perfectly cooked salmon.


Serves 2

2 wild pink salmon filets
sprinkle of dill
sea salt & pepper to taste
4 organic kumquats

Preheat your oven to 350F.
Sprinkle the salmon filets lightly with sea salt, pepper & dill and place them skin side down on an oiled baking sheet.
Bake for 7 minutes or so before checking for doneness. Continue baking if a deeper color remains in the middle of the filet.
Serve with wakame brown rice pasta and green beans if you wish.


Swing by The Tasty Alternative for lots more allergy free recipes!



7 comments:

  1. Wow-this salmon dish looks incredible. I have never thought to try kumquats with salmon-briliant! Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Next time I can get my hands on some kumquats I'll definitely be making this again!

      Delete
  2. Hi There Kristin,

    I'm loving this recipe!! Easy and delicious - my favorite combination. I really must try this. What a great summer meal. Thank you for sharing with us. :)

    Be Well,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There Kristin,

    I featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Your recipe and other highlights can be seen here: http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/05/allergy-free-wednesdays-week-17-may-15.html

    Please join us again this week for more allergy-free fun and inspiration.

    Be Well,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO MUCH Amber! I noticed my photo in your post via my blog reader before I even saw this- haha! Keep up the great work providing resources for people choosing the alternative :)

      -K

      Delete
  4. Kristen, My grandparents had a kumquat tree in their yard in Florida and I remember eating them fresh off the tree. I have been on a real kunquat kick lately. I've been eating them whole and by themselves daily. Thanks for putting it on something I can have for dinner too. Jenlyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing Jenilyn! I think the only edible that grows on trees in this climate is apples... I'm just using up the last of the applesauce I made in the fall now actually!

    P.S. Your bio on your site is killer- keep up the awesome work! I kinda want to be like you when I grow up haha!

    ReplyDelete