Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What I Ate Wednesday: June 9th, 2012

Happy What I Ate Wednesday, guys! Hope you've had a fantastic week so far (half over, right!) I had a jam-packed day of food yesterday, so without further ado, here are my noms:


Knowing that I had a couple of nutrition appointments at my office lined up, I needed breakfast to be a bigger than usual meal. While I was waiting for my egg water to boil, I threw a rosemary asiago biscuit into the toaster oven- an appetizer if you will. I'm on a mission to clean out/use up lots of miscellaneous things that are lurking in my kitchen this summer. Mr.C's out of town for the most part during the warmer months, which makes it a bit easier (to he honest). I had a partial bag of Bob's Red Mill GF Biscuit & Baking Mix that was the base for these biscuits.


So breakfast was two slices of Udi's Whole Grain toast, two poached local duck eggs with sea salt & fresh pepper along with three fresh apricots. THAT should keep me going for awhile!

 

On my way to the office I stopped at my favorite little restaurant: Sassafras Savouries. They often have gluten free baked goods, so I stop in every once in awhile to see if they have anything that day. They didn't today, but there are a few items they carry regularly that are gluten free also. I snagged two "yogi balls" to snack on after my appointments. I also brought an organic pink lady apple with me to work, as I would only be there for a few hours. It was a good idea too- I was hungry!


I got home & still had the muchies, so I indulged in some organic corn tortilla chips and fresh locally made salsa that I picked up from the farmers market on the weekend.


One simple way to get your RDA of selenium is via one single brazil nut. I've been trying to get myself into the habit of popping one tasty morsel (it helps that they're yummy!) in my pie-hole daily.


I had been planning on going to a hot yoga class in the evening, so keeping hydrated was a big focus today too. I find the number one reason I don't attend more hot classes at my local yoga studio is  because I'm not hydrated enough. Based on my own experience, I do get dizzy when I'm not properly hydrated before a class... and that's not fun.

Something else that's really important to be aware of before a hot yoga class is what & when you eat. I find that I need to give myself at least two hours, (ideally more though) to digest a meal before going to a class.

For dinner I had a wild pink salmon filet seasoned with sea salt, pepper, coriander & parsley dried from a plant in my greenhouse before class. I also had some quinoa cooked with some homemade broth & a mini bell pepper. I  had intentions of having a few more of them, but realized that I had likely eaten too much already.


Looking back, I should have saved half my salmon for after class... when will I learn??? Because I ate too much, and with not quite enough time before class I was slightly nauseous during class. Yuck.

I was hungry when I got home from yoga, so I scarfed down a Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie after I showered, then headed to bed listening to my new favorite meditation: Wishes Fulfilled by Dr. Wayne Dyer. I'm on night 3 of this, and loving it!

A few years ago when I lived in Edmonton I attended a meditation course directed at teaching people not only how to meditate, but also teaching them how to teach others. While I wasn't able to complete the course (but did do it for about 3 months), my experiences certainly changed my life. I was a much saner person then. While an asana yoga practice has certainly helped me with my groundedness in the last year or so, meditation certainly is something that I wish to continue doing. I've found that it is something that I only turn to when I "need" it such as when I am having trouble sleeping. As with many things, meditation is more effective when practiced regularly rather than applied only when a calming effect is required.



No comments:

Post a Comment